Monday, June 22, 2020

Father's Day Song

This year, I wrote my dad a song for Father's Day.  It was strange the way it happened. I had been thinking about writing him a song for a few days but hadn't started anything yet.  Then I was walking into the living room to sit down on the couch and I heard the words and melody pop into my head:

Sometimes I wish
For one more day with
You when I was seventeen 
around the campfire, we would sing...


I grabbed my guitar and began to write. I haven't cried that much during a write in a very long time.  I dove back into my childhood and thought about all the days I wish I could relive just one more time.  It was a beautiful writing experience.  I sent Dad a work tape of the song yesterday on Father's Day and he and mom called me back crying a few minutes later, so of course, I cried even more.  I did manage to get a full recording of the song for youtube without bursting into tears. I hope you like it! :)



One more day back then Verse 1 Do you remember Pulling me on a sled every winter Bundled up and yelling dad go faster It’s the simple things we miss that really matter When we grow up and we’re living on our own.
Sometimes I wonder if you know that Sometimes I wish For one more day with Chorus You when I was just a kid Dancing on your feet again “Come on one more song” cause it never got old Sometimes it feels like yesterday Sometimes it feels miles away Sometimes I wish that we’d never get old Why can’t I get Just one more day back then Verse 2 When the leave change Do you miss the days when we spent camping Cause Nothing beats a view with outdoor dinner It’s the simple things in life that we remember When we grow up and we’re living on our own.
Sometimes I wonder if you know that Sometimes I wish For one more day with Chorus You when I was seventeen Around the campfire, we would sing The songs that you and mom swore would never get old Sometimes it feels like yesterday Sometimes it feels miles away Sometimes I wish that we’d never get old Why can’t I get Just one more day back then Bridge If I could do it all again I wouldn’t change a thing But I’d do it all again For one more day back then with Chorus You when I was just a kid Dancing on your feet again “Come on one more song” cause it never got old You when I was seventeen Around the campfire, we would sing The songs that you and mom swore would never get old Sometimes I wish Why can’t I get Just one more day back then

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Blog Post

How to grow your TikTok following!

How I grew my TikTok from 0-178k followers in 6 months If you weren't already on TikTok before quarantine, I can almost gua...