Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Songwriter Feature - Megan Barker

















I am so excited to introduce you to this week's feature, Megan Barker! She's one of the hardest working boss babes I know! Her unique voice and heartfelt lyrics put a modern spin on classic country and I can't wait to hear her on Country radio someday soon! I met Megan a few years ago at her writer's round, Jammin' in Jammies, but we didn't start to become close friends until last fall.  Megan and I hit the ground running at the beginning of 2020, we were determined to make this OUR year and hit all the networking events together. It was a blast but sadly not long-lived.  Now in quarantine, I still talk to Megan every day, we bounce ideas off of each other, talk each other through the music business madness and I'm so thankful to have her as a friend! 

I hope you'll join us tonight on Instagram LIVE at 8pm central time for some original music! In the meantime, I would like to pass the mic over to Megan Barker so you can get to know her!



When did you start singing/playing music?
Age 14. 
How did you get into songwriting?
My parents were both in country music and I loved to sing and make up songs as a kid! But music didn’t fully take hold of me until I discovered John Mayer at age 14. I picked up a guitar and never looked back.
Who are your biggest influences?
John Mayer, Keith Urban
What are you listening to right now?
Oh, this question is always tough for me. I'm always listening to different stuff. Lately, I've been revisiting some old school Maroon 5 and Matchbox 20. Love!!
If you could only listen to one artist for the rest of your life, who would it be?
John Mayer or Keith Urban. I fell in love with both of their catalogs and their artistry so deeply at a young age. I'd be fine to have them on repeat forever! The songwriting, the musicality..it's just so great.
What is "I Cuss When I Pray" about? What do you want listeners to know about what the song means to you?
I put out a "quarantine music video" for my song, "I Cuss When I Pray." I wrote it after I lost my dad. I wasn't really looking to write a song about it because let's be honest, who wants to listen to a depressing song?! But it turned out really special. From the first time I played it out at a show, I knew it was special. People have really seemed to latch on to that song and for that, I am forever grateful. 
If you could write a song with any person dead or alive, who would it be?
Oh, man. This is a songwriter's nightmare question. There are SO MANY people I would be honored to write with. Dead and alive. I wouldn't mind writing one more song with my dad though. That would be pretty sweet.
What was/is your experience in quarantine like as a musician?
I remember the first month of quarantine was almost like a welcomed break. While I was of course stressed and concerned about the world, I felt like I had been working so hard for so long, that I was enjoying the break! After a few weeks though, I was so ready to get back to my life. It's been a learning experience learning how to do everything from home. Songwriting, live streaming, working from home, and NOT a Starbucks. But it's honestly been great. I'm trying to make the best of it. Spending time with my family and my kitties and really focusing on the important things. Been writing some great stuff too! As much as I miss playing live shows, I take this virus very serious and I'll continue to do my part by staying home as much as possible. And always wearing a mask!
What advice would you give to an aspiring singer/songwriter?
Don't be intimidated. (I mean, don't be cocky! No one likes a big ego.) Don't be so intimidated that you don't feel worthy of being in rooms. Own who you are. Always be open-minded. Keep learning. You're never done evolving. But we all start somewhere, so don't be intimidated. Introduce yourself to the people you wanna meet. I've always been really shy. You may not know it when you meet me. I had to push myself to speak to people after shows. It's worth it. 

 

MORE ABOUT MEGAN BARKER

Megan Barker came into this world with songwriting in her blood. Born in Nashville, Megan’s father wrote songs for legends like Ronnie Milsap, Barbara Mandrell, Hank Williams Jr, and more. By the age of 16, Megan was living in Las Vegas and performing live music professionally on the world famous Las Vegas Strip, and opening concerts for superstars like Lee Brice, Montgomery Gentry, Eli Young Band, and more.

 In 2017, Megan planted her roots back in her hometown of Nashville and quickly started checking things off her to-do list. Bluebird, Whiskey Jam, BusCall, Revival, CMA Fest are all things she can now add to her resume'. 

 In 2018, Megan started the popular weekly live show in Nashville called Jammin In Jammies that features hit songwriters performing their hit songs in pajamas. JamminInJammies.com 

 In 2018, Megan also released the highly anticipated EP, "Leather Souls" produced by Brad Hill (Maren Morris Brothers Osborne) The project included fan favorites, “Tequila Told Me To,” “I Cuss When I Pray,” and “When My Boots Were New.” These special songs have gotten high praise and rave reviews.

 2019 was a year of milestones and came with endorsements from McPherson Guitars, Shure Microphones, & Dan Post cowboy boots. Megan played what she calls some of her “favorite shows ever” in the UK, Scotland, and Ireland. Debuting at the Bluebird Cafe to a sold-out crowd and being on the “Spotlight Stage” at CMA Fest, 2019 will be hard to top, but the future is looking bright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Blog Post

How to grow your TikTok following!

How I grew my TikTok from 0-178k followers in 6 months If you weren't already on TikTok before quarantine, I can almost gua...