Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Songwriter Feature - Mary Moore









Mary Moore is a free soul and kind spirit with absolute star power.  In the classic Nashville sense, I met Mary at writers' round, and shortly after we booked a co-write. I was beyond blown away with her raw unique vocals and her stage presence.  

She recently released a new song called "Cold Hands." I'm so glad this song is finally out in the world because it has been one of my favorite's by Mary for a very long time!

I hope you'll join us tonight on Instagram LIVE at 8pm central time for some original music! In the meantime, I would like to pass the mic over to Mary Moore so you can get to know her!


When did you start singing/playing music?

I started singing before talking - just always a love for it! I really got into it from writing and just kind of always writing as a kid!!

How did you get into songwriting?

When my family moved back to Virginia we bought an old wooden piano for $100. I was obsessed. Something felt nostalgic about it even though it wasn't mine. I sat and would play for hours after school, just singing feelings into melody and lyrics. I didn't even really know I was songwriting. Songwriting was just how I always processed thoughts. 

Who are your biggest influences?

I was really obsessed with Lady Gaga all of growing up. Her artistry is unique and crazy, and her songwriting is SO CATCHY and has great lyrics as well. I also grew up singing rock music, and that has influenced me in a lot of ways. Now I am really inspired by the storytelling and imagery in folk music but also love the pop format. 

What are you listening to right now?

I've been crushing some LÉON and Donna Missal!!

If you could only listen to one artist for the rest of your life, who would it be?

Brandi Carlile

What is "Cold Hands" about? What do you want listeners to know about what the song means to you?

“Cold Hands” is about wanting to be intimate but not vulnerable with another person. It’s about scratching the itch that a meaningful relationship would give you with a casual fling. 

If you could write a song with any person dead or alive, who would it be?

Kacey Musgraves!!

What was/is your experience in quarantine like as a musician?

oof weird - I was fine with it, until looking back recently at allllll of the stuff I had planned to push myself to the next level this year. Tons of shows canceled. Just a bummer. But I sulked for two weeks in August and I am fine, and ready to just make it work in quarantine. I really miss the road and playing shows. 

What advice would you give to an aspiring singer/songwriter?

Keep doing good work, enjoy the work, and be patient. This is not an overnight thing, you are building a foundation, and just keep building that foundation. You'll make mistakes, play to empty rooms, and write lots of bad songs, but just keep going.



MORE ABOUT MARY MOORE

Mary Moore is a folk-pop/indie-pop artist living in Nashville, TN. With powerhouse vocals and storytelling lyrics, she has been captivating stages and connecting to people from all walks of life. Mary’s vocals are comparable to the power of Brandi Carlile and Florence + The Machine, but also with the sweet, quirkiness of Regina Spektor.

Mary grew up in Richmond, VA where she filled her life with music and performance. Mary played piano, french horn, and mellophone, and participated in dance (pointe, ballet, modern, and hip-hop), show choir, choir, musicals, marching band, and wind ensemble. Mary also was the lead singer for a classic rock cover band that toured in Virginia from age 13-18. Mary went to the University of Virginia for college where she became the Music Director of the award winning acapella group the Virginia Belles.

After graduating college Mary relocated to Nashville, TN to hone her craft as an artist. Mary has found growing success as a force on stage, her music has been heard on Lightning 100 and Mary has played notable venues in Nashville like the Listening Room Cafe, the High Watt, and The Basement.

Mary’s debut EP “Rooted Heart” was released in the summer of 2019, the songs gushing with imagery of the natural world and showcasing Mary’s writing and vocal chops.  The title track “Redwoods” was promoted on NPR “All Things Considered” blog, helping the song and Mary reach a new audience. Mary followed up the EP release with a tour all over the US, playing house concerts and Sofar Sounds shows from the cobble stone streets of Boston to the Redwood forest in San Francisco. Mary has racked up 100k streams on her music and she has been gaining fans with her inviting stage presence and entrancing performances.

Mary just released her latest single "Cold Hands"!!! Mary hopes her songs don’t just give listeners comfort, but give them the freedom to flourish in the messy and the darkness. Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Blog Post

How to grow your TikTok following!

How I grew my TikTok from 0-178k followers in 6 months If you weren't already on TikTok before quarantine, I can almost gua...