Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Songwriter Feature - Olivia Frances














Olivia Frances is one of the sweetest souls I've had the pleasure of meeting.  Her music is just as sweet as she is.  I was blessed to write a song with Olivia on the first day we ever met and we've been friends ever since.  I'm super excited to introduce you to this gem and her music.

I hope you'll join us tonight on Instagram LIVE at 8pm central time for some original music! In the meantime, I would like to pass the mic over to Olivia Frances so you can get to know her!


When did you start singing/playing music?

I started playing piano at age 6 and picked up guitar and songwriting at age 12.

How did you get into songwriting?

I was really inspired by Taylor Swift's "Our Song" and wrote my first song about my 6th grade crush called "The Spark" soon after hearing her.

Who are your biggest influences?

Kacey Musgraves, Bon Iver, The National

What are you listening to right now?

Josie Dunne, Fruit Bats, Keyler Matthews, Tame Impala

If you could only listen to one artist for the rest of your life, who would it be?

Jack Johnson

What is "Orchid" about? What do you want listeners to know about what the song means to you?

The song I'm currently promoting is one off of my latest album 'Orchid' called, "The Bee & The Rose." I had the intention to write a song for the bees as they are dying at an alarming rate. It's been studied that pollinators affect 35 percent of the world's food crop production, increasing the output of 87 of the leading crops worldwide. I wanted to write a tune to use as a catapult to talk about the bee crisis on stage. Very grateful that Michael Astrachan wrote it with me!

If you could write a song with any person dead or alive, who would it be?

Carole King

What was/is your experience in quarantine like as a musician?

It has been filled with ups and downs and letting go's and freeing myself of the burden to control what's out of my control. It's been hard but I've found clarity in many ways and I've had more time to record and write and reflect inward.

What advice would you give to an aspiring singer/songwriter?

Learn how to record your own quality guitar/vocals however you can (GarageBand, Logic, etc). It's important to go through the process of hearing what you sound like as this will help improve your vocals skills and musician skills. Also, it'll help keep your song catalog organized and up-to-date. Plus, if someone wants to hear what you're working on, it's easy to have an MP3 at the ready to send them. You got this!

 


MORE ABOUT OLIVIA FRANCES

Olivia Frances is a multi-award-winning pop/folk artist. 
Her infectious positive energy and unique “sunshine-story-pop” 
is catching the attention of listeners worldwide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Blog Post

How to grow your TikTok following!

How I grew my TikTok from 0-178k followers in 6 months If you weren't already on TikTok before quarantine, I can almost gua...