Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Songwriter Feature - Abby Lindsey












I met Abby Lindsey a few years ago at a publishing house in Nashville. The first time I heard her sing I was completely blown away! THIS FRIDAY Abby is releasing her first single, "She Knew Better" that she wrote with two of my besties, Lydia Dall and Aimee Walden. The first time I heard this song, I cried. I'm so excited that this song is finally going to be released into the world!

You can pre-save "She Knew Better" on Spotify before it comes out! Pre-saving an artist's song gives them a better chance of being put on major Spotify playlists! 

I hope you'll join us tonight on Instagram LIVE at 8pm central time for some original music! In the meantime, I would like to pass the mic over to Abby Lindsey so you can get to know her!


When did you start singing/playing music?

My mom will say “since I could talk” and she’s not wrong lol, but I really started to do it with passion and joy when I was probably 9 or 10.

How did you get into songwriting?

I really wrote a lot of poetry in junior high and high school because I loved English so much. I didn’t know how to play guitar so I normally just made up my own melodies to go with my poems. 

Who are your biggest influences?

LeAnn Rimes, Jo Dee Messina, and Adele.....weird mix I know 

What are you listening to right now?

Can’t get enough of Lennon Stella or Patrick Droney. Hardy’s album is incredible also! 

If you could only listen to one artist for the rest of your life, who would it be?

Oh man only one? Probably Chris Stapleton 

What is "She Knew Better" about? What do you want listeners to know about what the song means to you?

This song is about realizing you let someone really good slip away, and the next girl was smart enough to not let that happen. This is the story of my first love and I wrote this song the day after he married someone else. Tough right? But this was a very healing song for me to write because it was kind of my closure. My peace. My closing of the book if you will. This song reminds me that everything happens for a reason and that it’s okay to have regret because we don’t always actually “know best.”

If you could write a song with any person dead or alive, who would it be?

Kacey Musgraves 

What was/is your experience in quarantine like as a musician?

Very odd. Never thought “zoom” writing would become the new normal, but I got everything in place for this release so I’d say it was pretty productive. Which was good because I had to do something to keep me busy since there were unfortunately no gigs allowed or anything for that matter lol. 

What advice would you give to an aspiring singer/songwriter?

Just like when you’re applying for a job, it’s not your place to decide whether or not you’re qualified for the position. You’ll never be considered if you don’t put yourself out there and make yourself known.



MORE ABOUT ABBY LINDSEY 

Abby Lindsey is a singer/songwriter born and raised in the valley of the Ozark Mountains in Van Buren, AR. Being a native of the south, she was no stranger to the good ole country classics like LeAnn Rimes, Randy Travis, Trisha Yearwood, and Jo Dee Messina, which would come to inspire her dream to be in country music. 

She grew up singing in her church, pageants, ball-games, and hometown events. She was even an All-Region choir member in her high school. But nothing satisfied her hunger for more with music. So she decided to pack up everything she could fit in her Jeep and head for music city — and as Jo Dee Messina says “the rear view mirror torn off and I ain’t ever looking back and that’s a fact.” And that’s exactly what she did. 

She moved to Nashville with $50 in her pocket and lived in the pool house of the family she nannied for before finally getting on her feet and establishing a name for herself in town. Now she calls East Nashville home and continues to immerse herself into all of the magical and creative things Nashville has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Blog Post

How to grow your TikTok following!

How I grew my TikTok from 0-178k followers in 6 months If you weren't already on TikTok before quarantine, I can almost gua...